In Vermont you know summer has officially begun when you start bringing home loads of spinach and zucchini from your farm share. You also know it’s summer when you find yourself staring and piles of local veggies and thinking: how can I make all of this into food that my family will eat? We have some tasty favorites like summer vegetable tarts, black bean veggie wraps and whole wheat blueberry-zucchini muffins - but that doesn’t mean I’ve abandoned my quest for new ways to serve veggies.
This spaghetti dish was something I whipped up right after we got home from the farm share. Time was short and bellies were rumbling, so I went for an easy meal that would highlight the farm freshness of the produce we’d gathered. I shredded a zucchini with the shredding attachment on my food processor, then lightly sautéed it in olive oil along with about 1 1/2 lbs of roughly chopped spinach. After seasoning with salt, pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes, I tossed everything with cooked spaghetti and topped it off with toasted breadcrumbs and shredded parmesan. Super simple and very tasty. The munchkin happily gobbled this up.
- ¼ cup plain bread crumbs
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large zucchini, trimmed and shredded
- 1½ pounds fresh spinach, trimmed and roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 pound of whole-wheat or Ronzoni “Garden Delight” spaghetti
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan, plus more for serving
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- In a small skillet, toast the bread crumbs over medium heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat when bread crumbs start to turn golden brown.
- Using the shredding attachment of a food processor, trim and shred 1 large zucchini. Trim and chop 1½ pounds of fresh spinach.
- Add spaghetti to boiling water and cook according to package instructions.
- Heat ¼ cup of extra-virgin olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini and spinach. Cook, stirring frequently until the spinach has wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste, add a pinch of red pepper flakes. Taste again and remove from heat.
- Drain spaghetti and add to zucchini/spinach mixture, mixing everything together so that the noodles are coated with the olive oil and veggies. Add ¼ cup of shredded Parmesan and about 1 tablespoon of the toasted breadcrumbs, then toss again.
- Serve immediately. Put remaining toasted breadcrumbs in a bowl and serve along with spaghetti so that folks and sprinkle more breadcrumbs on their pasta as desired. Same goes for additional Parmesan cheese.