During the summer months we love visiting the Burlington Farmer’s Market and enjoying a relaxing outdoor breakfast of farm stand burritos. They’re always packed with veggies and eggs and who can beat eating a leisurely breakfast on a summer lawn?
While the outdoor farmer’s market won’t return for a few weeks yet, the warmer weather we’ve been having left me craving a hearty breakfast burrito. So when we picked up our farm share this week and gathered bags of potatoes, spinach and red onions I knew at least some of it was going to be mixed with scrambled eggs and melted cheese before being wrapped in a warm tortilla. I finally made it happen this morning and the resulting burrito really hit the spot.
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup potato, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons red onion, diced
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¾ cup double cheddar cheese, grated (divided use)
- 2 flour tortillas
- Salsa (optional)
- In a small bowl whisk the eggs and ¼ cup of the cheddar together. Set aside.
- Warm the olive oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add the diced potato and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to soften, about 4 minutes. Add the diced onion and continue to cook 3-4 minutes until the onions become translucent and begin to soften. Add the spinach and cook, stirring frequently until the spinach has wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir the egg mixture into the veggies. Allow to cook until the eggs are fluffy and set, stirring every so often.
- While the eggs are cooking warm two flour tortillas on a griddle or in a large skillet. When the eggs are finished, spoon half of the mixture into each tortilla. Add ¼ cup cheddar cheese and salsa, if desired, to each tortilla, then roll up and enjoy.