These easy veggie wraps are packed with good-for-you ingredients: red onions, summer squash, zucchini and butternut squash. Jalapeno and cumin add warm flavor, while protein from the beans and cheese makes each wrap into a filling meal. My son hasn’t quite got the hang of the whole “wrap” concept yet, but he sure has fun unwrapping everything before gobbling this dish up.
We usually serve these wraps for dinner, then refrigerate leftover filling in an airtight container and use it for a quick breakfast or lunch the following day. Making the filling beforehand is also a great way to make dinner prep even easier on busy week nights!
- 1½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ cups summer squash, sliced
- 1½ cups zucchini, sliced
- 2 cups butternut squash, sliced
- 1 cup red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4-5 whole wheat tortillas (burrito sized)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Drain and rinse the black beans. Lightly mash them in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute for a few minutes until it begins to soften. Add the summer squash, zucchini and butternut squash and saute until tender but not falling apart, about 8-10 minutes. Add the cumin, jalapeno and garlic, cooking about 2 minutes longer until the garlic is fragrant. Mix in the beans and continue to cook until the beans are heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat, then use to warm your tortillas. Once the tortillas are heated, spread about ¼ cup of Monterey Jack cheese down the middle of each tortilla. (I usually do this one tortilla at a time but if you have a large griddle there’s no reason not to do more than one at a time.) When the cheese begins to melt, slide each tortilla onto a plate. Spoon filling over the cheese, add a touch of cilantro, if desired. Wrap up the tortilla and serve.